City of Lakes Family Health Team members participated in an Advanced Care Planning training session at Health Science North’s simulation lab on November 15, 2018. The session, entitled “Speak Up- Start the Conversation about End-of-life Care”, provided our team with the knowledge and skills to engage patients in the sensitive topic of end of life decisions. The conversation centers around six key questions:
1. What do you understand about your current health status?
2. What information about your health or illness would be helpful to know more about?
3. What brings meaning and value to your life?
4. What worries or fears come to mind when you think about your health in the future?
5. If you have a critical illness or are near end of life, what would make life more meaningful for you?
6. What do you want to experience with your family and loved ones?
While most of us make plans for what happens after we die, i.e. estate planning, it makes sense to plan what will happen before we die. And it’s essential to make sure that our families know what our wishes are and what is important to us if they have to make a health care decision on our behalf. Advanced care planning gives you a voice in what you will experience.
For more information, go to www.speakupontario.ca/what-is-advance-care-planning/